Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Buffalo Schools Closed

We have officially had our first real winter storm here in Buffalo. When I went to bed last night it in the low to mid 40's, without wind. We woke up to temperatures in the mid-teens with winds into the 60's. Schools were closed throughout western New York, except the University at Buffalo of course. On my way in to school today I counted more than 5 trees uprooted (the ground had frozen and the high winds caused the roots to snap), one of them had landed on a car in our circle (cul-de-sac in Utah), and I saw another that had fallen through a garage roof. Garbage cans had been blown all over the place, and four of the eight lights that I go through on my way to school were no longer working (some of them were obviously broken).

To illustrate how bad it was, this morning (around four) while Janna and I were laying in bed listening to the wind she said, "I just keep waiting for the roof to get blown off." She was of course referring to the potential of a tornado passing through.

12 comments:

MisterJ said...

Your schools got closed. Our kids got stuck IN school for an extra hour or so because of snow. lol

Josh said...

Nice. What happened?

MisterJ said...

The UHP grounded our buses and said the kids weren't allowed to walk home because of the severe weather. So we had to wait for every kid to get picked up. Eventually the buses came, too.

They actually excused the teachers when we got down to about 20 kids in the school, but I stayed with mine until they were all picked up.

Josh said...

That was good of you to stick around, I am sure your students appreciated it (even though they may not have realized the benefit of having you there).

MisterJ said...

By the end, I was really only waiting around with one kid. I think he did appreciate it, though.

MisterJ said...

Totally unrelated...

Hey, Josh! I just ordered my new Legion of Doom figures!!!

You can see them at http://cgi.ebay.com/WWE-Classic-Superstars-LOD-Exclusive-Legion-of-Doom-mib_W0QQitemZ250210280580QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MisterJ said...

Hey, it cut it off!!!

Well, I'll get a pic of them and put it on my blog.

Josh said...

That's awsome. I wanted those figures more than any others when I was younger. Some day (after I graduate) I will start collecting again.

MisterJ said...

You should get some of the new Classic Superstars line. That's what these are.

Josh said...

Are they similar to the old ones? What are the differences?

MisterJ said...

They are bigger and more realistic, but they don't do the actions like the old ones.

I'll e-mail you some pics.

Josh said...

I got the pictures, thanks for sending them. This probably sounds dumb to everyone but you, but I can't wait until I can afford to start collecting them again.