Saturday, August 25, 2007

2007 Camping Trip

Bear on the loose!!! No joke, less than 30 minutes south of us there is a bear on the loose in the middle of a neighborhood. Officials are still on the lookout for it because it disappeared just after locals called the police.

Last week we went camping for the first time this year. We wanted to go camping before we left Utah, but between my knee problems and the move, things did not work out. When we arrived at the campsite, we put our tinfoil dinners on some hot coals and set up our tent near some friends. The dinners were awsome! They were filled with carrots, potatoes, celery pieces, and sausages, and lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, and BBQ sauce. They were loaded with flavor.
The tent we used was my two-man tent that I have used many times on scout trips. We wish that we could have brought our eight-man tent, but that is currently residing on Grandview Hill in Gunnar's garage. Oops! Oh well, believe it or not the four-and-one-half of us fit into it fairly comfortably. The picture above is of me standing in front of the tent that we slept in.
The campsite was only about ten minutes away from our place in Williamsville. It is a site that is used by the BSA for summer camps. It has a pretty large open field, lots of trees, and a river that is not too far from the field. The tallest trees that you see in this picture are probably between 50 and 75 feet tall. Trees like these can be found all over the place. All-in-all we thought it was a pretty nice place, but it is definitely not the same as camping in the mountains.
The people that we were able to meet on this trip were a lot of fun to be around. So far we like the area, the ward, and the people we have met.

6 comments:

MisterJ said...

Did you hear about the carebears? They mauled a bunch of campers.

Josh said...

Are we talking about Grumpy Bear, Share Bear and their pals, or a completely different group of bears?

Codester said...

I don't think you should listen to Casey, he is misleading. That's bananas that you guys moved all the way to the Buffalo area. Good luck with everything.

I actually considered the University of Buffalo before I decided to stay in Salt Lake. I've heard nice things about the area and also you can eat buffalo wings.

Josh said...

Hey Cody, how are you? What are you up to? Are you still at the U? I can't believe that we actually moved out here either. I thought that I would always live in Utah.

It is pretty here. The summers are nice, other than the humidity (which is really not all that bad). I do miss the mountains, but there are a lot of lakes and rivers near by. Niagara Falls was pretty amazing. I have not yet had any local buffalo wings, but I am looking forward to trying some.

Codester said...

Well, I've been unemployed for the past year and a half. I've been trying to get into academic advising with no success....so, today I met with an advisor at Utah Career College because I'm considering going into Exercise Science. The field is growing at a nice rate and I think the job market is pretty decent. I'll try to get my associates just as fast as possible so I can get a job. Then I'll continue on with a bachelors. I'm not sure if I'd want to get into personal training because I sort of have an inclination for physical therapy - sports rehab. That's what I've been up to.

So I read you only have 7 semesters left. Wow! But it will pay off. Nursing is, and will continue to be, a huge field. People aren't going to stop being sick, as unfortuante as that sounds, it's true. You'll need to convert some Eastsiders to being Jazz fans. You'll probably want to get NBATV so you're not stuck with Toronto Raptors games.

Josh said...

I am sorry to hear about the employment difficulties, but good luck with exercise science.

I have thought about NBATV, but I don't know if I will get it. Currently we are without TV. I don't know that this will last, but we are currently considering it an unnecessary luxury as I am accruing nothing but debt. I doubt that my resolve will last long, but who knows. As sad as this sounds, I am planning on following the Jazz online. There is some good news though. A friend of mine from school and work got into the same program and he too is a Jazz fan. At least I will have someone to talk to about games and stuff.